Hollywood Classics and Modern Updates to the Horror Movie
You either love them or hate them. For horror movie fans, a scary movie means heart-pounding, edge-of-your-seat thrills, while non-fans equate a horror movie with hands over the eyes and an "I can't wait for this thing to be over" feeling. One thing's for certain: you don't want to watch a scary movie alone.
1. Frankenstein - This 1931 classic with Boris Karloff as The Monster and Colin Clive as the obsessed scientist Dr. Henry Frankenstein will forever be cited as the best scary movie ever made. Best line from the movie? Frankenstein's bone-tingling cry of, "Look! It's moving.... It's alive. It's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's ALIVE!"
2. Dracula - Another scary movie classic released in 1931, Bela Lugosi starred as Count Dracula in the movie, "Dracula." It is Bela Lugosi's chilling performance as the title character that makes this movie timeless. Best line from the movie? "I am Dracula. I bid you welcome."
3. Psycho - The shower scene with Janet Leigh is forever burned into the mind of anyone who watches this 1960 Alfred Hitchcock classic. Even today, Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates and Vera Miles as Lila Crane make your skin crawl. Best line from the movie? Janet Leigh's scream, of course. Second best line? Norman Bates saying, "Mother...What is the phrase? She isn't quite herself today."
4. Peter Cushing Movies - Some say that Peter Cushing is the best actor the horror movie genre has ever seen. Having appeared in almost 60 horror movies, his credits include, "Dr. Terror's House of Horrors," "The Evil of Frankenstein," "Scream and Scream Again," and "The House the Dripped Blood."
5. Christopher Lee Movies - With over 90 scary movies to his credit, for some people Christopher Lee defines the genre. From "The Curse of Frankenstein" and "Dracula" to "The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll" and "Theatre of Death," Christopher Lee has frightened generations of moviegoers.
The Next Generation
The next generation of scary movies ranges from gruesome gore to nail-biting suspense to that sick feeling in the bottom of your stomach to wanting to scream at the screen, "Don't open that door!" Here are a few of our favorites:
1. Halloween - Babysitters will never feel safe again after watching this John Carpenter classic. Noted by some as the best slasher movie of all time, "Halloween" marked the film debut of Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie Strode. Best line from the movie? "Two roadblocks and an all points bulletin wouldn't stop a five-year-old."
2. Stephen King Movies - Stephen King's books are sometimes so scary that you can't bear to turn the page (but you can't bear not to!). The film adaptations of his books bring the horror to life. Whether it's Sissy Spacek as Carrie White getting the ultimate revenge at the prom or Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes stalking James Caan as Paul Sheldon in "Misery," horror movies based on Stephen King books are heart-in-your-throat scary. And some, like "The Shining," pair a gripping storyline with the artistry of director Stanley Kubric to produce possibly the scariest movie ever made.
3. Friday the 13th - Although some would dispute the quality of the film - and certainly its sequels, "Friday the 13th" remains a classic. Released in 1980, this scary movie set the bar for slasher films. Best line from the movie? Betsy Palmer as Pamela Voorhees saying, "You let him down. You never paid any attention. Look what you did to him. Look what you did to him."
The horror movie - or scary movies in general - are enormously popular. From early classics to "The Amityville Horror" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre," the genre truly has something for everyone. Or at least anyone who enjoys the adrenaline roller coaster ride that a great horror movie provides.
For more information and informative related articles and links about this subject matter and content, please visit Majon's Videos | DVD's | Documentaries directory: http://www.majon.com/directory/videos-dvds-documentaries. Also visit our Shopping Directory Marketplace for more related sites.
About the Author
+Chris Robertson is a published author of Majon International. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2013 (Tue Mar 13 2007) Majon International. Majon International is one of the worlds MOST popular internet marketing and internet advertising companies on the web. Visit their main business resource internet marketing web site at: http://www.majon.com